If we want to #StopAsianHate, we have to do far more than denounce the interpersonal violence that makes the news. It can be easy to mask our helplessness behind buzzwords and social justice language. It feels good to say things like "we must dismantle white supremacy," "we must end anti-Asian violence," and "we must create an intersectional future."
Don't get us wrong — these phrases are important and necessary. Yet, pressing up behind every post is the enormity of the desperate question..."HOW?"
🏦 Employers: Respond with loosened project timelines for everyone, and direct all managers to offer increased flexibility for direct reports. This can translate to time off for affected employees, and learning & development for non-affected ones.
- We #StopAsianHate by organizing with low-income Asian American communities to stop gentrification and urban displacement in Chinatowns and other Asian urban communities.
- We #StopAsianHate by halting deportations and persecution of undocumented Americans, many of them Southeast Asians and Pacific Islanders.
- We #StopAsianHate by denouncing anti-Chinese antagonism from government agencies, media outlets, and public figures.
- We #StopAsianHate by holding social media platforms accountable for the anti-Asian racism and harassment that occur on them.
- We #StopAsianHate by outgrowing the Model Minority myth and refusing to let Asians be pitted against other Black and brown communities.
- We #StopAsianHate by educating ourselves and our communities about the history of anti-Asian racism and how it manifests today, and committing to ACTION, not platitudes.
👔 Workplace Leaders: Create working groups connected with local/national advocacy efforts to determine how to use corporate resources effectively in support. Coordinate and specialize across lobbyists, vendors, partners, and every functional area.
📣 Allies: Become acquainted with grassroots work supporting Asian communities and contribute money, time, and energy to support them. Prioritize a recurring rather than a one-time contribution.This work has always been happening. That work continues, today and every day. Get involved.